Euro 2012 View From Row Z: Ukraine – Sweden Edition

The second host nation is already underway in their match against the blonde bombshells. Unfortunately all of us have to work/ do important things today, so here is a little gathering for everyone. If you are able to chronicle the action in the comments, those of us without tv would greatly appreciate it. Lineups below

Ukraine: Pyatov, Gusev, Mykhalyk, Khacheridi, Selin, Yarmolenko, Tymoschuk, Konoplianka, Nazarenko, Voronin, Shevchenko.

Sweden: Isaksson, Lustig, Mellberg, Granqvist, Martin Olsson, Elm, Kallstrom, Larsson, Ibrahimovic, Toivonen, Rosenberg.

Subs:

Ukraine: Koval, Kucher, Garmash, Aliev, Shevchuk, Rakitskiy, Butko, Goryainov.

Sweden: Wiland, Svensson, Jonas Olsson, Antonsson, Wernbloom, Safari, Holmen, Hansson.

Advertisements

31 responses to “Euro 2012 View From Row Z: Ukraine – Sweden Edition

  1. Watching on my phone while at work (God Bless the WatchESPN app). Have we said enough how truly awful Kasey Keller is on commentary? Because he is abysmal. I’m almost (only almost) wishing for Taylor Twellman. So ESPN is even for the day (plus for the app, minus for the crap commentary).

  2. 28th min: Sweden’s away kits look badass; roar from home fans at every half-chance is very cool. Game being played at a pretty good clip back and forth. Lots of midfield space. Overall, SWE service to Rosenberg and Ibra hasn’t been good enough. Elm particularly culpable for bad set pieces. They need to be wary not to let UKR have too much space on the counter.

  3. Working on my laptop at McDonald’s so my kids can play at a playscape in direct Texas summer sunlight, where they’re playing free jazz and where water cups and honey mustard sauce packets are 11 cents. #bestdadever

  4. 38th min: great chances for Sheva and Yarmolenko. Both blocked by last ditch defending. Good spell from UKR.

  5. Halftime. 0-0, but a fairly wide open half. Movie quote time. Name the film: “If there’s one thing I know, it’s never mess with mother nature, mother-in-laws, or motherf**king Ukrainians!”

  6. No doubt he’s the most talented guy on the pitch. But I’ve got my money on him pulling a Balotelli and letting his moodiness get the better of him. I’d say it’ll slow down a bit after the break. 60% chance of a 0-0; 35% chance of SWE 1-0, probably off a set piece by someone like Larsson or Kallstrom; 5% chance Shevchenko gets to write the hero script for a 1-0 UKR win.

  7. @KC I’m not listening now, but I like Keller, he is a little stiff, but actually makes sense when he talks unlike Twellman or Harkes

  8. @Brian- I’ll grant that he has more knowledge, but he just sounds like a dorky dad (ok, MY dorky dad) all the time. And the constant half-chuckle and nervous talking through replays only to be overturned by the video is pretty bad. Just say, “on first glance it looked like X, but let’s take a look.” Then say nothing until you’ve seen the replay. Maybe he can get better, but for now, I’m not a fan and I have to believe there are 3 or 4 better guys ESPN could’ve gotten. Where’s Efan Okoku?

  9. 51st min: GOAL SWE!!! Ibra does it (& SA was spot on!). Cross not cleared by Yarmolenko, falls to Kallstrom on the edge of the 6, he squares to Ibra right in front of goal and Ibra buries it!

  10. Stupid client, making me do work and miss Sheva’s goal! Oh well, game on now!

  11. 81: Shevchenko gets a much-deserved hero’s ovation from the crowd as he comes off.

  12. 86: cross thru the 6-yard box for SWE, but no one able to get on the end of it.

  13. 90: Ooooh! Elmander in on goal off a nice chip by Ibra, but he blazes it juuusst over the bar. Still 2-1 UKR. 3 mins stoppage to go.

  14. 93: Mellberg catches a volley in the 6, but just can’t get it underneath the bar. Might have been Sweden’s last chance.

  15. What a great match. Seriously, both of these teams will be all over England, and might be able to burst past Mexes and Rami.

  16. There it is! Ukraine now with the shock of the tournament so far. Apologies to the Danes, whose win was excellent. But this is a bigger upset for me. Dream start for Sheva and his boys, now in charge of Group D. That guy will never buy another drink in Ukraine as long as he lives.

  17. @Keith – fully agreed. Way more positive and open than I expected. Could be a case of both attacks looking better against poor defenses, but it sure looks like this is a wide open group now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s